2006 Academy Award nominee Heath Ledger was found dead in one of his homes in Soho by his housekeeper at 3:35 p.m. EST. Police do not suspect foul play and say prescription sleeping pills were found near the 28-year-old actor’s body. Paramedics failed to revive him with CPR and pronounced him dead at the scene.
The 28-year-old actor has a two year old daughter with former fiancee Michelle Williams — they separated in September, 2007. He plays The Joker in the upcoming Batman film, “The Dark Knight” and is perhaps best known for his groundbreaking role as Ennis in “Brokeback Mountain.”
That really sucks. People believe it was a drug overdose because of the pills, but the cause of death has yet to be confirmed. The 911 call described it as a cardiac arrest. R.I.P. Heath Ledger. I think I just heard a legion of Batman fanboys callously yell out, “Nooo, did they finish filming The Dark Knight?!” in some sort of collective, solemn nerdgasm-mourning thing.
Update: The New York Times
says he was found in Mary-Kate Olsen’s apartment (Mary-Kate was in Sundance at the time attending the premiere of The Wackness) [WTF?]. The masseuse and housekeeper opened the bedroom when no one answered and found Ledger “naked and unconscious on a bed, with pills scattered around his body.” Another source says the apartment is in no way related to Mary-Kate.
Update #2: Heath Ledger had a coke problem. Although, a friend tells TMZ he has been clean for a year. The housekeeper found him lying face down in the bed.
Update #3: Heath Ledger may not have committed suicide. He was sick with pneumonia when he died.