No, Not the Bees! Not the Bees! Ahhh!

A big rig carrying 20 million bees overturned on I-95 in Delaware Tuesday evening unleashing a gigantic swarm of living hell. An investigation discovered the driver was attempting to maneuver the ramp when the bee-filled wooden crates he was carrying shifted causing the flatbed to overturn and hit the guardrail. The bees then escaped and swarmed the ramp. The spill took 13 hours to clean up. 90% of the bees, which were being transported to Main to pollinate blueberries, were lost. The other 10% poured out some honey for their homies.

The ramp remained closed throughout the night and into the morning as crews worked to soak up spilled fuel and motorists were advised to avoid the area.

Three bee handlers were called to the scene shortly after the accident.

State police spokesman Sgt. Paul Shavack says on-call bee handlers worked with firefighters to spray water to disperse and calm the bees. It was the first time state police used their official honeybee swarm removal plan.

“They’ve been traumatized so they’re pretty well upset now,” said Paul Dill, one of the beekeepers.

Wait. State police have a honeybee swarm removal plan? Is this a major concern in Delaware? Because I’m for sure never going to visit there now. I don’t want to end up like Nic Cage.

(H/T: Uproxx)

Partner highlights
Notify of
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Load more