The Oscars are once again upon us and having never watched it in full since, well, ever, I’ve decided to put my picks in right now. 3 hours before the stupid thing starts. That way tomorrow I can say, “See? I told you they would win. Next time maybe you’ll listen, jerk.” And if they don’t win, I’m just going to delete this post. Hence, I still win!
I’ve put up the odds and also highlighted who I think will win and why. In retrospect, I should have put this up much earlier, but that would’ve severely cut into my “staring at the wall” time.
Actor in a leading role
- GEORGE CLOONEY (MICHAEL CLAYTON) +1000
- DANIEL DAY-LEWIS (THERE WILL BE BLOOD) -1600 / “I drink your milkshake!”
- JOHNNY DEPP (SWEENEY TODD) +1000
- TOMMY LEE JONES (IN THE VALLEY OF ELAH) +2400
- VIGGO MORTENSEN (EASTERN PROMISES) +2000
Actor in a supporting role
- CASEY AFFLECK (THE ASSASSINATION OF JESSE JAMES) +1000
- JAVIER BARDEM (NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN) -1300 / He kills people with an air gun. How cool is that?!
- PHILIP SEYMOUR HOFFMAN (CHARLIE WILSON’S WAR) +1800
- HAL HOLBROOK (INTO THE WILD) +900
- TOM WILKINSON (MICHAEL CLAYTON) +1000
Actress in a lead role
- CATE BLANCHETT (ELIZABETH: THE GOLDEN AGE) +2000
- JULIE CHRISTIE (AWAY FROM HER) -310
- MARION COTILLARD (LA VIE EN ROSE) +120
- LAURA LINNEY (THE SAVAGES) +2000
- ELLEN PAGE (JUNO) +400 / I’ve never seen the movie, but I’ve seen Hard Candy. Best pedophile revenge/avenge movie ever. Possibly because it’s the only one. That’ I’ve watched.
Actress in a supporting role
- CATE BLANCHETT (I’M NOT THERE) -145
- RUBY DEE (AMERICAN GANGSTER) +185
- SAOIRSE RONAN (ATONEMENT) +3000
- AMY RYAN GONE (BABY GONE) -170 / It’s about time a crack-head won.
- TILDA SWINTON (MICHAEL CLAYTON) +400
- AMERICAN GANGSTER +550
- ATONEMENT +160
- THE GOLDEN COMPASS +400
- SWEENEY TODD THE DEMON BARBER OF FLEET STREET -210 / Johnny Depp. If I was a girl, I’d probably swoon.
- THERE WILL BE BLOOD +210
Best achievement in writing
- J. SCHNABEL- THE DIVING BELL AND THE BUTTERFLY +550
- JASON REITMAN- JUNO +2000
- TONY GILROY- MICHAEL CLAYTON +2600
- JOEL COEN/ETHAN COEN- NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN -430
- PAUL THOMAS ANDERSON- THERE WILL BE BLOOD +400 / “I drink your fucking milkshake!”
Foreign language film
- BEAUFORT +445
- THE COUNTERFEITERS -165
- KATYN -105 / I have no idea what this is about or what the name means, but it sounds sexy.
- MONGOL +105
- 12 +655
- ATONEMENT +775
- JUNO +400
- MICHAEL CLAYTON +3300
- NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN -285 / Air gun, bitches!
- THERE WILL BE BLOOD +250
Short film (animated)
- I MET THE WALRUS +250
- MADAME TUTLI-PUTLI -110
- MÃŠME LES PIGEONS VONT AU PARADIS (EVEN PIGEONS GO) +2250
- MY LOVE (MOYA LYUBOV) +1750
- PETER & THE WOLF -125 / Wolves are nature’s most efficient killer. Just kidding. I think that’s the Great White Shark. Wolves are cool though.
Writing (adapted screenplay)
- ATONEMENT +345
- AWAY FROM HER +1000
- THE DIVING BELL AND THE BUTTERFLY +275
- NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN -450 / I wanted to pick Blood just so I could say, “I drink it up!” Ah, screw it. “I DRINK IT UP!”
- THERE WILL BE BLOOD +350